New

New
Treking in the woods.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Quilting with the Monks!

Yes you read it right. Quilting with the monks that is what I have been doing the last 4 days. In southern Idaho there is a place called the Monestary of the Ascension. They are a group of Benadectine Monks that staff the facility. In fact I am writing this blog on their computer as I take some time off from sewing. We gathered here on Monday afternoon and have spent the last three days in the company of 16 other women. The pattern we made was a Mariners Compass. It is very fitting for me as I have stated many times how much I love the water and boating. This particular compass will be for my dear sweet hubby. I have never made anything for him as I hear on a regular basis from him. He is going to love it. I plan to quilt it by hand and we will use it on the boat. I can not post a picture however until I get home. Just a bit hard to down load my photos to someone elses computer.
The weather has been perfect for sewing. Not to nice to be outside so what better place to be than inside doing something you love. I have a bunch of stuff I need to do at home but this gives me a real chance to unwind, decompress and think of other things besides myself. It is a very special time spent with mostly strangers with the love of quilting in common. It interesting and exciting to watch the same pattern come to life in each persons special way. So many colors and so many interpetation of the same pattern. From gold, green, lavender, black, blue, red and green, strips, flowers, dots, plain, and on and on. Just the most rewarding days to watch this happen. The food here has not been to shabby either. The gal that does the cooking is a very good cook. The first night here we had a beef tenderloin that was to die for. Her desert was a coconut cream cake the made your mouth water. We have been well fed, well watered and well cared for in the last three days. I have enjoyed this experience so much that I am already looking forward to coming back next year.
I will write more on this and put in some pictures when I get home and to my own computer. Good night to all and have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment