New

New
Treking in the woods.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Checking in!

As I told you all in the message thread I would relate to you the story that Mom relayed to me just as a matter of general conversation. I have always wanted Mom to tell us more about her life as a girl and finally she did with out much prompting. On to the story.

When Mom was growing up on the family farm or ranch they had a very unfriendly rooster. Not much of a story you may think but it gets better. This particular rooster was a very unfriendly rooster. He loved to chase the Dean girls all over the the yard and peck them. This rooster went to far as to trap Donna in a ditch and in Moms words waller her real good. I suppose that means she was pecked and scratched by this crazed rooster.

Mom had chores to do one day and the rooster had a favorite place he liked to find bugs and tidbits in so she went around the barn the other direction. It was not the easiest way but as far as the rooster was concerned it was the safest. Well the not so nice crafty rooster found Mom as she was headed back to the house. He took in after her, Mom being the kind of "your gona get it bird" person stood her ground. She looked around for something to keep the bird away from her. She found a two by four of some undertermined length and used it to keep the nasty rooster from attacking her. Mom had enough of that bird and swung the board at the bird. She actually hit it knocking it dingy! She picked it up by "it's back legs, front legs, any other legs, I could get hold of" and carried it to the chopping block. As she laid the mean rooster on the block she hollared at Grandma, "Hey Mom boil some water, I got rid of the rooster!" Well sufice it to say the rooster landed itself on the dinner table that night.

I am not sure what Moms age was at the time but if Donna was pretty young than Mom must have been just a teenager. I would encourage you all when you are with her to get her to tell you more stories. If you like me are curious about her and her life as a kid or a young woman or her early married life write it down somewhere. I think we could compile a fun account of her for our kids and their kids. From my prespective I know more about Richards parents as a young married couple than I do my own. I so wish we would have had more time with Dad so we could find out about his life. I guess we need to talk more to Aunt Ellen and Uncle Larry to get some of those fun growing up stories they probably have hidden in their minds.

On that same note, write down some of the fun facts about our lives as girls, teenagers, and young married women. Our children will be very grateful when we get older and they get curious about us as youngsters. Right now they are living our lives of long or not so long ago. One day when they are in our shoes as older women and they are Grandmas they are hopefully going to want to know what you or we did as girls. Just think you can tell them about the stick houses, the leaf houses, the giant snow men we made. The times we went camping, or how Connie always pretended to go tell when we were doing things we were not suppose to. Then us finding she never said a word but got a cookie. Write about sleeping in the same room with the 4 of us and how even though the house was small it never seemed that way. When I start writing this stuff so many many memories flood back. Oh how I miss those days of care free child hood. The camping trips into the South Hills. Walking in the creek till our feet were numb and still playing in it. The logs we climbed over and under. The hills we climbed, Mom cooking breakfast on that old washing machine lid. Oh I can still taste how wonderful the fried spuds tasted. The crisp bacon, the pancakes! Oh my gosh I am making myself hungry.

Do any of you remember hunting Easter Eggs, Christmas programs at Church, Grandma and Grandpa visiting? What about going to Nevada, playing in the sagebrush by Aunt Marylou's house. Staying up watching TV in the dark, then rushing to bed when we saw Mom's car coming up the street. We had to make sure we closed the doors to the TV so she would not see the dot in the center of the screen and know we had not been in bed. How about Sox! He was so cool. He slept with me on the top bunk. Always bailed off, I was never quite sure how he did not break a leg. Anyway enough of that, it was fun and I loved every minute of it. I sometimes wish we could go back just for a little while and relive it again.

My mind is whirling and whirling! All have a great day and remember I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment