New

New
Treking in the woods.

Monday, November 29, 2010

About darn time.

Whoa have I been away a long time! Needless to say I was indeed surprised when I logged on here and noticed that it was August when I last posted. I am not sure of the reason but suffice it to say I will try to do better and get out there once again. Carol has been pestering me to write so here I am at last.
Richard and I recently made a cross country trek to Minnesota via the highway. What a marvelous time we had in just the journey. God saw fit to bless with beautiful weather and clear roads. Going across country in a car in late October and early November is always an iffy proposition. No problems getting there or coming home.
In the getting there I guess I could describe some of the trip. We left Boise on a Friday night at around 6:30 p.m. You are probably thinking we had lost our minds leaving that late in the day but I will tell you what we did before we left was even crazier.
We painted our house, yes you read that right we painted our house. Our original plan was to leave on Wednesday but we were not ready to go. Wait a second let me put that another way. Richard was not ready to go, he was determined to get our house painted. We had put it off for 2 years and then spring was so wet and cold that we could not do it then so it had to get done. He borrowed an airless sprayer from our friend Stan and after weeks of scrapping and priming we were ready. Richard did the body of the house and I tackled the trim, just on the front and back however because we needed to put the rain gutter back up before we left. Okay so the painting is done we are cleaned up and finally packed and out the door on Friday night. I know I already said that but it was worth repeating. Oh well I thought it was funny.
So we got us a hotel room in Pocatello then went and got something to eat. I was so tired and worn out and excited we should have kept driving because I could not sleep. It was almost midnight and driving on unfamiliar roads is not something that makes for much fun. Besides we would have missed some really beautiful country. Up early Saturday morn and on the road again. The country around Jackson Hole Wyoming is so beautiful. It is so amazing that on one side of the state can be so dry looking and the other full of rugged mountains and lots of trees. The town of Jackson is centered by a small park that sits on a diamond shape in the middle of town. At each point there is an arch of antlers. The day we went through they were giving away pumpkins in that park. We were going to get a bite to eat in Jackson but there were so many people it was impossible to find any place that was not full. We journeyed on to a small settlement of Dubois, Wyoming. We found a very quint restaurant where we had an awesome meal. I am glad we had to move on or we would have missed it. I suppose things happen for a reason. We were headed north through the Teton Mountains. I could not tell at that time how beautiful they were as they were covered with clouds. I did take some pictures that I will attempt to post on here so you can see them. We were at this one location and saw all kinds of people stopped on the highway and some even walking out through tall brush and trees. There was a moose not very far off the road and these people were trying to get closer. Take it from someone who had a close encounter with a buffalo while driving thru Yellowstone Park. That is another story but it is safe to say it was not a smart move on their part. They are so darn big, moose that is, I would not chance it.
We moved on, the drive was uneventful and full of lots of talk and reflection on my part. I did a good deal of driving but allowed Richard to have a turn or two. We made it to Rapid City, South Dakota on Saturday night. We found a hotel, walked to a burger joint went back to the hotel, eat, bathed and crashed. Finally slept that night. Off again the next morning after breakfast and decided we were to anxious to enjoy Mt. Rushmore so went straight through to Minnesota. About the time we got to Souix City, South Dakota I got a phone call from Christian. He wanted to know where we were. I told him, and also that I would let him know where we were along the way. Just after Souix City you cross the Missouri River and were in Minn. I took a picture of a road sign and texted it to him. As the miles rolled by which is only about 230 I kept taking pictures of town signs so they could follow us across the state. When we got to a town called Albert Lea Christian was going to go outside to wait for us. We were still more than 50 miles away. I convinced him to wait till we got closer. The next town Rochester again he wanted to go outside and wait. Still we are 20 miles away. So I told him when we got to St. Charles I would send him another text and then he could go out and wait. On the Main street leading to St. Charles there is a water tower painted with the towns name. I had Richard pull over, I took my picture then sent it in a text to Christian. I thought he was going to jump through the phone. He started hollering and yelling yippee. Okay now he can go wait. St. Charles is like driving into any small town USA no stop lights to speak of and very small so easy to get through. When we rounded the corner to the street that leads to their house we could see both Samuel and Christian waiting out front. Richard being the onery person that he is drove right past them. Now you have to understand they live on a culdesac and Sam was convinced that Grandpa had forgotten. No he went to the end turned around and parked in the drive way. The boys were so full of hugs and so much help it was nice to missed so. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed every minute we were there. For right now my wrist and hand are beginning to hurt from typing so I will finish my tale later. Just remember to come back so you can read about our adventure to a small town called Lansboro. It really is not to be missed. In the mean time enjoy the couple of pictures I put on here from our trip. I also have some of when Connie and Lucy came over to celebrate Lucy's birthday. Your not going to want to miss them.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Penny, it's about time. I told you that it had been a long time since you had blogged. I do enjoy reading them and keeping up with you. I love you and miss you much. Can't wait for the next blog. BTW

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW I don't remeber seeing that picture of Connie and I. Glad you put it on here. Looks kinda neat.

    ReplyDelete